Visitors Guide

Request our 2015 Official Alton Visitors Guide and start planning your trip today!

2015 Official Alton Visitors Guide
Social Lounge

Western Military Academy Monument

2009 Seminary Ave.
Alton, IL 62002
Get Directions

P: (800) 258-6645

Western Military Academy Monument

Originally founded as Wyman Institute by Edward Wyman in 1878, it was reorganized as Western Military Academy in 1896.  A fire destroyed the original school buildings in 1903, but by later that year the present buildings were erected. The architecture is English with battlement parapets. The buildings are constructed of broken ashlan stonework up to the first story windowsills, and above that the walls are built of paving brick trimmed with Bedford stone. The military school was disbanded in the early 1970s. The Mississippi Valley Christian School opened in 1974. The story of the 92-year history of Western Military Academy is engraved on a beautiful monument at the gate of the former academy in Upper Alton.  

Western Military Academy Monument

Originally founded as Wyman Institute by Edward Wyman in 1878, it was reorganized as Western Military Academy in 1896.  A fire destroyed the original school buildings in 1903, but by later that year the present buildings were erected. The architecture is English with battlement parapets. The buildings are constructed of broken ashlan stonework up to the first story windowsills, and above that the walls are built of paving brick trimmed with Bedford stone. The military school was disbanded in the early 1970s. The Mississippi Valley Christian School opened in 1974. The story of the 92-year history of Western Military Academy is engraved on a beautiful monument at the gate of the former academy in Upper Alton.  

76°

SIGN IN




(8 to 12 characters)

RESET PASSWORD

SIGN UP



(8 to 12 characters)
(8 to 12 characters)